Friday, January 7, 2011

ART DAY SIX

DAY 6 of ART

Almost forgot to post what art happened yesterday.
First of all, it was my bf's birthday. I made a sign that said "HAPPY 14th BDAY", cutting each letter from printer paper and puttin the '14' inside a cut heart. (the 14 is um... I was having a dyslexic moment) Also, for his amusement, I provided a silly lesson on color mixing.


(Remember children, blue and yellow make GREEN!)

More Art:
I put some more quick creations in the sketchbook for the sketchbook project. I have to postmark it by the 15th for it to go on tour. And with the loose theme "Science Project Gone Wrong". My opinions on this project below the images.






My Thoughts on 'The Sketchbook Project".
Ok. I'm a huge fan of sketchbooks as art. I love the fact that someone is putting together a library of sketchbooks. The joy of hand done art that people can enjoy in person and touch the pages is extremely exciting. The problems with this project are that I feel hesitant to just give all this work away for free. (or rather paying to give it away, as there was a cost to participate - I understand this however, and my complaint doesn't lie there. They need $ to take it on tour and buy/send out the sketchbooks) Also, because of the theme and time constraints, the work is less like the organically developed sketchbooks I keep, and more like a desperate race to the finish line, resulting in sub-par work and nonsense as I try to make these creations bend (loosely) to the theme. Also, the paper is the thinnest paper I've ever had the ... ~joy~ of working with. But, I don't want to turn back now, and I don't want to waste my money, so I'm going to finish it dag-nabbit, and hopefully there will be a few visual gems inside to make flipping through it worth while.


INSPIRATIONS:
I started watching the movie "Klimt" - a drama about the artist Klimt played by John Malkovich. I loved the art nouveau movement, and the movie even has some very nicely done surreal moments that reflect those ideas. Also, beautiful naked women wandering several scenes surrounded by colorful silks and elongated patterns can't help but be inspiring.

1 comment:

  1. This is a really neat blog! I had no idea that there was a movie about Klimt. I am a huge fan of Art Nouveau and it has a heavy influence on my work. Now I'm definitely way more into Mucha, but I'd really love to watch that movie to learn more about Mucha's contemporaries and what it was like to live during that time. Thank you very much for the post and I'll definitely be following your blog!

    - Chaz -
    -----------------
    My Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Avarra
    My Portfolio: www.ChazKemp.com
    My Blog: http://chaznouveau.blogspot.com/
    My Band: http://pandoraceltica.bandvista.com/

    ReplyDelete