Wednesday, January 5, 2011

On the 4th day of art...
I made some sloppy expressons in the sketchbook-project sketchbook and took some creative photos.






The text on the hand says "I am forced to wear ambiguous labels and fit into limiting CATEGORIES."

I also painted D's belly before he got in the shower, but I don't need to include a photo here. ;)

The rest of the day was dedicated to magic.
Every first Tuesday Dave and I attend a magic show on Theatre on the Square. I've been doing the programs for over a year now. Its a layed back gig and I get to experiment with my graphic design skills. I showed the latest one on the blog yesterday.
This one had a special guest couple doing magic and face painting in the lobby. I got my face painted - she did a beautiful simple red shading with black white and orange streaks around my eyes and addd glitter- but I forgot to get a photo!

Afterwards, we went to the Old Point Tavern. Never far from my camera, I decided to take a few creative shots - I am always fascinated by the red wash of color you get in the corner area by the neon lights.


I took this photo covertly - I always feel a bit strange taking photos of strangers but I wanted a photo of the colors, and she fit in perfectly. I would have asked her permission but people look so much more natural when they don't know their photo is being taken.


This is Pat Smith. He will be performing at next month's Indy Magic Monthly - Excellent magician, and wonderful to have as a friend. I find the mood here quite ambiguous. At first I thought the red wash made him look like a dangerous person, but now it feels more contemplative.

----
More Inspiration:
At he end of the day, I read a bit of Clive Barker's "Great and Secret Show".
In it, there is a special 'island' that gets described - like a dream place cathedral building, but more vast, complicated and strange than anything in reality - in a place where physics doesnt matter, and you can have 'towers as thin as reeds' etc. The full description isn't as wonderful as the images my mind was conjuring as I read. I would't be surprised if you start seeing more bizarre structures appearing. I could FEEL the images pasting themselves to my brain.

1 comment:

  1. >.< I think my reply was eaten.

    I took this photo covertly - I always feel a bit strange taking photos of strangers but I wanted a photo of the colors, and she fit in perfectly. I would have asked her permission but people look so much more natural when they don't know their photo is being taken.

    That's the way I like to take photos too... real sneaky like. =)

    ReplyDelete